Tuesday, April 8, 2014

April 8, 2014

This whole past week we have been inviting every single person we talked to go to General Conference and I am so glad we did because it was SOO GOOD. 10 hours of pure revelation from prophets and apostles in our day! I wanted every one of our investigators and members to go because when watching there is no way to deny that these men are called of God. 

And we sure have been talking to a lot of people these past days. Elder Ballard a few weeks back has issued the promise that if every missionary would contact 10 additional people every day they would see changes and success in the mission like never before. So that means 20 contacts per day, 140 additional people to talk to every week apart from our lessons and other duties as missionaries. And man is that promise true. Promises from prophets are great!

So about the whole earthquake thing… I am completely fine... Nothing at all happened as north as I am. There was a tsunami warning and many of the missionaries in our mission had to evacuate their houses and head to the hills but what was called a tsunami ended up being 3 meter waves... Which is so surf able. But who does need your prayers is everyone who was affected by the quaking... Our stake in T sur is doing a food drive for them. We collected a lot when everyone gathered to the stake building for general conference. I know it might just be a little thing but service is service and people need our help if we have the means to do so. 

This past Tuesday for district class we learned about how to teach people, according to their needs instead of just spitting out scripture verses to them. One of the greatest things I think about the mission I thing is being able to teach people. I love teaching because it is so personal. I have the opportunity to get to know people, truly know them, find out their hopes, dreams, desires, and help them understand their divine potential as sons and daughters of God. This week we were walking to a lesson when I received the impression to contact this one house. As a zone we have stopped door contacting for a while now, but I really felt that we should. So we did. It turns out that this guy Herbeth (weird name right... no offense to anyone who will ever read this blog who has the name Herbeth) is a less active member of the church for more than 15 years. He is addicted to every type of thing you could be addicted to and sees no future in his life what so ever. We had the blessing to get to know this guy and teach him of the atonement of our Savior Jesus Christ, that no matter what we have done, no matter what we have been through, no matter how far we have fallen he will be right there to help us up. Because he’s been through the same. He is the only one who knows us and can give us hope.

This Sunday we had a baptism of Celestina del Carmen Pozo Bustos! I think that this baptism perhaps was the most disorganized, dysfunctional and utterly hilarious baptism that I have ever been to, heard of, or witnessed. This lovely old lady Carmen planned on getting baptized the Sunday of conference before the meeting. We had her baptism interview planned for Tuesday but she thought that her baptism was that day, so instead of waiting for us at her house she decided to go looking for us with her towel and change of clothes... but she doesn’t know how to use a phone and doesn’t know where we live so she was roaming the streets looking for us as we were waiting and then eventually wandering the streets as well trying to find her.. Eventually she gave up and went to her daughter’s house in Panco... Which is like 3 hours away... Finally she had her interview the next day when we found her... and passed!   Everything was ready and prepared but she couldn’t choose between my companion and I who was to baptize her... So we flipped a coin, and Elder Castro won (first mistake... I now know that you should never flip a coin to determine who will perform an ordinance of the Lord...That’s doctrine according to Sayre, I would follow it) we planned to have her baptized in the stake center instead of our building and because it was a much farther walk we decided to take a bus, we didn’t know what bus would get us their however, confident and crazy Carmen said she could get us their without a problem. Next thing we know we are in an industrial park.  
 

Finally we got back to the church building and prepared for the baptism an hour before conference. As she was changing in the stall in the bathroom the door was jammed and she couldn’t get it open... She kept screaming and banging on the door "dejame salir satanas!" "Let me out of here Satan!" because she was thoroughly convinced that Satan was the cause behind all of her troubles... Eventually, with help from a little girl and elder who had to climb over and crawl over the stall, she got out. 

As she was walking into the fount she slipped and fell... hurting her back... but... again blaming it on the devil was determined to continue.

At this moment she told my companion that she was afraid of water. He being a very wonderful but very new missionary doesn’t quite know how to baptize people who are scared of water so he tried his best but... had to try many times... with a chair and without..and there I was standing on the side lines just trying to coach my son on how to baptize like a frustrated dad does when he’s teaching his son how to throw a ball and he doesn’t do it right.. I was stressing out hard core... but the fifth time is a charm! And she was baptized! 5 min before conference started we ended the baptism. 

I do have to look on the positive side... after the baptism she said that her back pain went away... Along with her sins! Yeahhh baptisms are the best!

I don’t have time to talk about how freaking awesome conference was but I will devote my time next week to do so. I have learned so much from this conference and feel spiritually full and bursting with insights and knowledge, I’m but please tell me I was the only one to think of those animal circus cookies when I saw the choir for the afternoon session on Saturday (they are officially the circus cookie choir in my book...if you don’t know what I mean go back and look at the color of their shirts)... or when the guy who talked about the Olympians and their 4 minute performance stared to sing that song.. 4 minutes by Justin Timberlake and Madonna...

I love you guys! 




No comments:

Post a Comment