Monday, November 11, 2013

Nov 11



Besides the Great drought of investigators that is occurring in Quillon right now I am doing just dandy. As the days pass by it is slowly getting hotter and hotter. It’s like home! Just really green and there are flowers and fruit everywhere.  There might be a famine of investigators, but not of fruit here in Chile, my favorite are the cherry trees. We will just be walking in the campo (field) and eating cherries right off the tree! So delicious. I am excited for the peaches and grapes too, there not quite ready to eat yet.... but there’s a peach tree right outside my window and I have been staring at this one peach for about a week now. How great will be my joy when it’s ripe!

As for the obra misional (missionary work), we have been working very hard. I think because of our work I have begun to see the hand of the Lord more in my life and also I have been able to witness more of the miracles in life. Miracles are the natural result of the correct application of eternal principles. When we are obedient, diligent, understand and apply eternal principles in our lives, miracles are promised and easily overlooked, so pay attention. The small tender mercies and miracles of the Lord are marvelous.

In Church last week the obra misional was in charge of assigning the talks and hymns in sacrament meeting. We had the brilliant idea to have a special musical number in church! No one really does that here, but traditions have to start somehow. All four of us elders sang the primary hymn Armies of Helaman, half of the song in Spanish and half in English! It was a blast. 2 of the elders could not hold a tune to save their lives so we didn’t necessarily sound good, and perhaps half the branch was choking down their laughs during are special song but it was all worth it. I want to organize a choir for Christmas! But we will see. 

I got into a huge fight with my companion this week. He doesn’t believe that anyone has been on the moon. now I’m pretty sure that I paid attention in history class, seeing that my father was my teacher, I thought that it  was common knowledge that Neil Armstrong was the first person on the moon correct?? People in Chile seen to not believe me when I say that... it’s frustrating

People in Chile are just stranger and stranger. We had a lesson with an investigator, less active and recent convert all at the same time this week (good idea right). All of the people had kids, it felt like a McDonalds play house during this lesson, but anyways, one of the babies of the less active started crying, and crying and wouldn’t stop! So what did the mom do? She started to breast feed her baby right there, right in from of us. Without a blanket or anything and then continued to carry on with the conversation like nothing was happening. I guess it was for the better because the baby stopped crying. 

Apart from all of that...

This week I have learned the realized the blessing and ability we have in this life to progress, or to change.
People say that leopards can’t change their spots and that is true; good thing we are humans and can change. We can change our thoughts, our habits and our actions the ability to progress is only possible through our brother Jesus Christ and his infinite atonement for us. Through the process of repentance, sincere true repentance, we are able to look at our past as a learning experience and press on into the future with new found wisdom. 

Sometimes people get stuck into a pattern of thinking that progression is impossible. Maybe they believe that they sinned so much that there is no hope of being forgiven, or they are not good enough, or smart enough to progress. 

A lot of the time I have noticed that it is just a matter of laziness being content with mediocrity.

All that that is a lie and a trick of the devil. He is trying to stop us from reaching our divine potential as heirs of our Heavenly Father.

On the mission I have learned an eternal principle. If you want to be better than you have ever been, you have to do things you have never done. Progression requires bravery and courage. It’s not easy to change sometimes, but we are not alone in our efforts to learn and progress.

We have the savior right by are side to help us. He is not there to condemn us, but to fight with us.
I love the phrase in D&C 88:  62 63 that says draw near to me and I will draw near to you.

Simply in this life, progression means drawing closer to Christ, and when we grow closer to him, we grow more life him.

This requires action on our part, to take the steps in becoming like Christ, following his example and his evangelic. Faith, repentance, baptism, the girt of the Holy Ghost and keeping his commandment until the end of our lives. We can’t just say we are going to be better; we have to do the things that will lead to a better life.

Learn wisdom by humbling yourself D&C 136: 32
Oh be wise, what can I say more Jacob 6: 12

Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment