Monday, September 30, 2013

September 30, 2013



Thanks for all of your emails! And letters. Because I haven’t received any more due to the strike I decided to read all of them again, and pretend that they are new, pathetic right? Haha.

This week was a busy one. We have 3 investigators with a baptismal date and we have been working a lot with them, making sure they stay on track and what not.

One of our investigators Estefany is doing wonderful. We taught her about modern day prophets and gave her a copy of the last general conference talks to read. We called her to verify how that was going and she read like 6 or 7 of the talks! In our next lesson with her, she said that she was going to be the missionary and teach us about the talks she read.

She is so excited for General conference coming up and so am I! Even though as of now I’m not sure if I will have to opportunity to listen in English. I sure hope I can. My Spanish is improving but I don’t think I’m ready for 10 hours of talks in Spanish...

Spanish is frustrating right now. My understanding is getting better but it talks me a while to comprehend it all. for example when we are in lessons and someone asks me a question, it takes me like an extra 5 to 10 seconds to respond, and the people here in Chile are SUPER inpatient, so then by the time I try to answer their question, they are asking another question, and by the time a try to answer that question, their talking about a completely different topic. I’m always like 15 seconds behind the conversation and my brain is constantly running, trying to catch up but never gets there. I think I have a condition.

Being the only gringo in our house is much more difficult than I thought. I have so much to say all the time, but I end up only saying like 5% of it.
And I have given up on trying to be funny in Española for the time being. I have tried to make funny comments or jokes in lessons and it is just embarrassing. I get that confused dog look from so many people when I try to make jokes (you know the squinting of the eyes and the tilt of the head in confusion).

On the other hand my companion has like 3 jokes or funny comments he says to every new person we meet, I have heard them about a million times already and it has only been a week. Our companionship needs more originality.

In our mission the standards of excellence have drastically changed. Standards of excellence are the guide lines of what our mission president expects from us each week. And with our new standards everything we do, needs to be with a member, or it doesn’t count! I think the members are getting sick of us calling constantly to ask if their busy, but hey we gotta do what we gotta do.

With the cambios (transfers) and everything we have so many new people in our zone! I think it’s so awesome to meet new missionaries and learn from them. Every missionary is different, with strength and weaknesses, and also has their different ways of doing the mission work. It’s it fun to get new ideas for teaching and contacting and put them into practice, because at times it is easy to get stuck into a routine, and fall into the category of a robot missionary, and I’m not about that.

But everyone in my zone is thoroughly convinced that I am an indie hipster, just because I bought washable suits at H&M, and  wear wool ties and have glasses made by Giorgio Armani. Shoot I don’t even know that guy! But it’s pretty funny.

I think that’s it for now folks, I have been crazy busy this week, and a lot happened, but now that I’m sitting at the computer writing you, I don’t remember anything that happened.

Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment